It’s impossible for a cat owner to find a suitable low phosphorus cat food for kidney disease, but in this article, we add some more value and suggest top cat diets which are less in phosphorus and healthy for cats with renal(kidney) illness.
How do I choose good nutritional cat food with low phosphorus? Low phosphorus cat food for kidney disease will contain the following on its dry matter:
- Prorein between 28% to 35%
- Phosphorus 0.3% -0.6% recommended
- Sodium < 0.4%
- Omega 3 fatty acids 0.4% -2.5%
Cats with medical concerns like some issues with the kidney are often advised to consume a diet whose phosphorus quotient is less. Cats can have acute kidney problems and chronic kidney disease (CKD). Thus it becomes extremely important to get the cat diagnosed properly and feed phosphorus as per the health status.
The recommended phosphorus range on a dry matter basis for cats with CKD is 0.3-0.6%.
Low Phosphorus Cat Foods List
- Overall Winner: Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets NF Kidney Function Advanced Care Formula Wet Cat Food
- Second Winner: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support Dry Cat Food
- Best In Budget: Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites with Beef & Pumpkin in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- Healthy & Tasty Option: Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care with Chicken Canned Cat Food
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets NF Kidney Function Advanced Care Formula Wet Cat Food Review
Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Advanced Care Formula Canned Cat Food is an excellent cat food to tackle the problem of kidneys. This diet has a very high success rate in limiting the phosphorus content in the cat’s body.
It provides balanced nutrition to assist the kidney to function with ease as it is formulated with low sodium, phosphorus and protein. Cat’s life becomes so easy as Purina low phosphorus cat food along with controlling phosphorus offers dietary benefits.
- It helps to manage kidney disease and control the further progression of failure
- The wet cat food has restricted amounts of high-quality protein, low phosphorus levels, and a reduction in sodium
- 0.39% phosphorus on a dry matter basis.
- Helps to develop lean muscles.
- Water content is low, and the food looks quite dry.
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Renal Support Dry Cat Food – Review
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet is a very healthy diet mainly designed to cater for the renal health of adult cats under veterinary supervision. The diet is rich in flavour as claimed by the company, to stress it ‘F for flavourful’ is added in the name.
This is energy-dense cat food, which is able to meet the dietary needs of adult cats who have lost appetite due to kidney concerns.
Moreover, the controlled phosphorus helps cats feel comfortable.
- Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil, antioxidant complex
- Required phosphorus and protein content
- Adult cats can easily consume square kibbles which are aromatic too
- Some cats experienced an upset stomach on its consumption.
Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites with Beef & Pumpkin in Gravy Grain-Free Canned Cat Food – Review
Weruva Truluxe Steak Frites is a complete low phosphorus cat food. The grass-fed beef and pumpkin are the first ingredients besides it have the correct percentage of vitamins, minerals and heart-healthy taurine.
This meal comes in a can which is very easy to open. Moreover, it can be used as a complete food or just topper and in anyways it works perfectly to take care of your kitty in and out.
- Meaty and juicy gravy has high moisture content.
- The balanced blend of amino acids, vitamins, minerals and taurine
- Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Pea-Free, Non-GMO, No Corn No Wheat No Soy cat food
- Phosphorus content is 0.10%
- It is a bit expensive
- Gravy is quite mushy
Hill’s Prescription Diet k/d Kidney Care with Chicken Canned Cat Food – Review
The Hill’s Prescription Diet is a chicken flavoured cat food. It has proven to improve the quality of the cats who suffer as unable to filter phosphorus properly. This cat food works efficiently to support your cat’s kidney function and helps to sustain muscle mass.
In addition, this low phosphorus cat food is formulated by nutritionists and veterinarians. It increases the life expectancy of cats as it also maintains the wellbeing of the cat’s heart.
- Controlled phosphorus and low sodium plus medically adequate amounts of l-carnitine and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Calorie-dense to support muscle mass
- High-quality ingredients like protein and minerals are tested clinically
- Cats really appreciate the taste
- Calorie-dense to support muscle mass
- No smaller case option is available, so there is storage hassle
These reviews will help you to make the right choice as they will make a great difference to your adorable cats who might be suffering due to high levels of phosphorus in their current cat food.
Along with reducing phosphorus, cats with kidney disease require a good amount of water. To take care of it, subcutaneous fluid injections are an option in extreme situations. However, wet cat food with nearly 80% water can be appropriate to increase water intake. As dehydration is frequently seen in cats.
How can I make out whether my cat has phosphorus build up in the body?
If in case your cat’s phosphorus blood content is high then it will almost always act as though it feels generally unwell. In general, you might notice some of the below-given symptoms like:-
- Lack of appetite
- Nausea or vomiting
- Unexplained weight loss
- Depression or lethargy
- Excessive thirst
- Rubber jaw (weakening of the bones due to excess blood phosphorus, causing tooth loss and soft jawbones)
- Muscle tremors
Can I give my cats low phosphorus cat food as treats?
Yes, low phosphorus cat treats can be given as positive reinforcement. It is always recommended to go for high-quality products that should not account for more than 10% of caloric requirements.
What is the relationship between Phosphorus, Calcium, and Protein Cat Foods?
Phosphorus and calcium are in the state of homeostasis, which means a reduction or increase in one usually results in a similar reduction or increase in the other. When kidneys do not work properly then the accumulation of phosphorus eventually calcium also builds up.
Similarly, high-protein diets are often seen as being too high in phosphorus, but this is not always the case as the phosphorus: protein ratio varies widely across different high-quality protein sources. So when choosing low phosphorus cat foods opt for low-phosphorus diets that must meet the caloric and nutrient needs of a cat while reducing it as much as possible.
Also, Read – Low Fiber cat Food
Conclusion – Why is high & low phosphorus a big concern?
Mybestcatfood participates in affiliate marketing programs with Chewy. “This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
As kidneys stop working properly or their function declines they are unable to filter phosphorus from the body. As phosphorus builds up in the bloodstream, the cat starts falling sick and experiences many discomforts.
But the good news is that dietary management can’t turn back the clock on kidney disease, it can help to improve the condition of your furry partner.