what is the best grain free cat food for cats? There is a lot of confusion about a grain-free diet, whether it is good for cats or not, and most importantly, we are not sure which are the best grain-free cat food options available in the market. “This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.”
The cats who face medical issues like allergies or intolerance have shown improvement in their condition when fed good grain-free cat food. Such cats are benefited because the grains like corn, rice, barley, and wheat sometimes result in allergies and also lead to some problems with the cat’s skin, coat, and digestion.
If a cat has been diagnosed with these health problems then a grain-free diet should be given otherwise also it is important to control the diet. It is better to provide a cat’s meal that matches the one cat would take if present in wild conditions. This article will help solve all the confusion.
The below-given review of 12 cat food without grain will help you as a cat owner make a wise decision in relation to your cat’s diet.
|1. Blue Buffalo Cat Food|
|2. Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Feline Formula|
|3. ORIJEN Dry Cat Food, Grain Free, Premium Fresh and Raw Animal Ingredients|
|4. Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Raw Infused Dry Cat Food|
|5. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Chicken|
|6. Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food, for Adult Indoor Cats, Chicken Recipe|
|7. Purina Pro Plan Cat Food|
|8. Whole Earth Farms Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food|
|9. Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Cat Food, Chicken & Potato Recipe|
|10. Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food|
|11. Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken & Herring Dinner|
|12. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food|
1. Blue Buffalo Grain Free Cat Food Review
Blue Buffalo is a high protein diet with real pieces of chicken which cats thoroughly enjoy. The grains are replaced with healthy carbohydrates like sweet potatoes and peas which act as a source of energy and make cats active and healthy.
If cats are put on this diet they stay fit as this recipe helps to build their immune system due to the presence of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. The ingredients are completely natural without any by-products or added fillers. You can buy this food on chewy.
However, the high protein level can be a problem for some cats.
● High protein content helps in lean muscle development.
● Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids are added to support skin and coat health
● Fruits and vegetables are also included
● Ensures overall well-being
● Not recommended for older cats as high protein content can cause kidney problems.
● Some cats start throwing up and experience diarrhea too when fed this diet.
2. Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Feline Formula Review
The ingredients of this recipe are highly digestible as it is grain-free cat food with peas and sweet potatoes. The diet is suitable for active cats, as is a rich source of energy.
This formula is suitable for cats from all life stages. It includes real roasted venison and smoked salmon which is liked by most of the cats. Along with that vegetables and fruits are also present, which provide antioxidants to support a healthy immune system. You Can purchase this food on chewy.
● The Food includes prebiotic fiber and antioxidants.
● The protein content is 42%.
● This diet has proven to make cats thicker and shiny.
● Picky eaters love this
● The new version is not liked by cats.
3. ORIJEN Dry Cat Food, Grain Free, Premium Fresh, and Raw Animal Ingredients
The diet is rich in natural, whole animal ingredients fit for all cats’ biological and nutritional needs. The raw animal ingredients include meat, organs, cartilage, and bone. Orijen Dry Cat Food grain-free cat food is good for kittens as well as grown-up cats.
The protein is of high quality. The food has high protein and low carbohydrates which cause good development in most cats. But in some cases, cats vomited after the consumption of this diet as they were not able to adjust to high levels of protein. So always check for protein requirements and tolerance for your cat.
● Protein value is quite high.
● A trial size is available.
● This diet helps to boost up energy in cats.
● The product is overpriced.
4. Merrick Backcountry Grain-Free Raw Infused Dry Cat Food Review
Merrick is dry feed with freeze-dried real raw poultry pieces. The taste is absolutely fresh which cats enjoy a lot. To make it an easily digestible diet no grains are included in this diet.
The food smells extremely good and the texture and taste are liked by cats a lot. It has all the benefits of a raw diet which makes it a good diet for carnivorous cats. The protein-enriched diet facilitates healthier stools and superior nutrient absorption. Check this food on chewy.
In addition to this nutrients are dense which helps in weight management.
● The high protein content helps in increased energy levels of cats.
● A gluten-free diet helps in the treatment of chronic skin conditions and stomach related problems.
● Probiotics are present to help in digestion, along with omega, taurine and vitamins
● Packaging is not good, most of the kibble gets crushed.
5. Wellness CORE Grain-Free Chicken Review
It is a chicken-flavored dry food made especially for adult cats. Most of the diet’s protein is animal-based and is procured from chicken and turkey.
Wellness Core provides all the nutrients which a cat requires for good immunity, strong teeth, and eyes. All the ingredients are claimed of fine quality to support the urinary tract but there is no solid evidence for this.
This diet is specially designed by vets and nutritionists to make it a well-balanced diet.
● It has nutritional supplements.
● The product is expensive and the bag size is smaller.
● The new version quality is poor.
6. Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food, for Adult Indoor Cats, Chicken Cat Food Review
If you have an indoor cat who is very active then you can try this USA-based special diet. It includes natural fibers which make this diet easy on the stomach and keeps them full for a long time.
The natural ingredients are recommended by the vets as it helps in the maintenance of weight perfectly. Check this food on Chewy.
● This chicken recipe helps to control hairballs.
● It is high in fiber and lowers in calories.
● It has Omega-6s & Vitamin E which can be absorbed easily.
● This diet increases the activeness of cats.
● Sometimes a diet has giant clumps of food.
7. Purina Pro Plan Grain Free Cat Food Review
Purina offers chicken and the rice-rich formula with a good quantity of proteins. It is also known as SAVOR Chicken & Rice Formula. Probiotics are present to make it a healthy food.
The diet is complete with incredible taste and cats finish the whole portion provided to them.
To help manage weight the diet is specially designed. Turkey & egg flavor has been given a new look. This diet is helpful for overweight and less active cats. You can purchase this food on chewy.
● The presence of specific intestinal bacteria makes it a healthy option for digestion.
● Vitamin A and Omega-6 fatty are present in the required amount.
● Turkey flavor does not have probiotics.
● Some cheaper ingredients are included.
8. Whole Earth Farms Chicken Recipe Dry Cat Food Review
The diet is made from fresh fruits and vegetables along with high-quality protein and all the ingredients are natural. Special care is taken to exclude by-products, grain, and artificial flavors or colors.
The chicken fat is preserved with mixed tocopherols. The diet is ideal for active cats. Moreover, the pieces are small. Many cat owners have reported that this diet has helped to solve the vomiting problem in their cats so they recommend it for cats with sensitive stomachs. The portion size is good and lasts for a long time. Check this food on chewy.
● Real chicken is used which helps solve indigestion problems.
● The product is affordable
● It makes cats gain weight.
9. Rachael Ray Nutrish Zero Grain Natural Dry Cat Food Review
Chicken is the first ingredient in this diet along with potato. Specially made grain and gluten-free for cats with some allergies.
Along with natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, and taurine are added to make it a complete diet. This recipe will make your cat’s mealtime fun as its taste is great. The crude protein content is 32%.
The diet has all the essential nutrients to meet the nutritional needs of your fluffy friend. You can purchase it on chewy.
● Helps allergic cats to gain back weight and solve hair shedding problems.
● The product is not very expensive.
● The Kibble size is good.
● The product does not smell good.
10. Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain-Free Canned Wet Cat Food Review
The Merrick’s Bistro cat food is perfect grain-free for adults, kittens, and even senior cats. Its first ingredient, real deboned turkey, is a good source of protein.
This diet has the right moisture content along with natural components present which makes it complete and balanced nutrition.
Under the supervision of vets, the recipe is Crafted for sensitive stomachs, hairball control, or weight control. Check Merrick purrfect bistro food on chewy.
● Omega 6 + Omega 3 fatty acids are present.
● Probiotics are also included to help support healthy digestion.
● To aid the immune system antioxidants are supplied through this diet.
● Quality is inconsistent and sometimes damaged cans are shipped.
11. Wellness Complete Health Pate Chicken & Herring Dinner Review
This is a wet cat food recipe loaded with lean meats, healthy fats, fruits, and veggies which makes it healthy and a natural act of food. It is an excellent source of high-quality protein.
If you are looking for a diet to increase the moisture content of your cat then this is a good choice, it will take good care of the urinary tract.
Flavour and texture are liked by most cats. Minerals like taurine support health care. The diet has a fine blend of protein, fat, and carbohydrate to make it a recommended food. Check this food on chewy.
● This is liked by even picky eaters.
● The new version’s quality is poor and some cats are reported developing kidney issues on its consumption.
● The product is very expensive.
12. CRAVE Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food Review
This cat food is suitable for indoor cats made with real ingredients. The diet is used to meet the energy needs of your cat as it has carbohydrate sources, plus vitamins, minerals, & other nutrients.
Chicken and salmon are sources of protein. This helps in proper muscle development and digestion. Cats will adore the crunchy texture which is free of artificial ingredients. You can purchase CRAVE grain-free food on chewy.
This ancestral diet claims to provide complete satisfaction to your beloved pet.
● Real chicken is used.
● Carbohydrate content is low
● Helps cats with medical issues like diabetes.
● The diet is not totally grain-free.
Q. Why is grain-free cat food expensive?
The grain-free diets are made for cats with allergies. The grain-free cat food is replaced with ingredients to meet the nutritional needs of the cats. These alternative ingredients are a little expensive but are a must to keep your pet friend healthy and free of allergies.
Q. Can cats naturally digest grains?
Although cats are carnivores they can still digest carbohydrates from grains. Cats do not have enzymes in saliva like humans. The pancreas secretes an enzyme called amylase which helps to break down grains in the intestine.
Grains are a good source of fibre, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids.
Q. What are the symptoms of grain allergy in cats?
Cats experience various issues if they develop allergy for a cat which might include:-
● Excessive grooming
● Excessive hair loss
● Bald patches
● Inflamed skin
● Sores and scabs
● “Hot spots”
So if your cat shows any of these signs get it checked by the vet for any food allergy.
Do I need to give a gluten and carbohydrate-free diet to my cat if it is allergic to grains?
Not necessarily, if your cat is allergic to grain then you need to avoid gluten and carbohydrate in your cat’s diet.
In fact, many grain-free cat foods have a good content of carbohydrates as these diets use other carbohydrate sources like sweet potatoes, lentils, peas, tapioca, and many more.